Friday, August 12, 2011

Leadership: 3 Styles

Some things just don't change.  James Allen's eighth pillar in his book, Eight Pillars of Prosperity, written over 100 years ago is, "Self-reliance."

So I ask myself, "Am I self-reliant?"  We all would say "Yes. Of course."   

Self-Reliant Leader                       Self-Conceited Leader                    Self-Abasing Leader
Proper view of self worth              Exaggerated view of self worth         Reduced view of self worth
Continually Growing/Learning       Closed to Learning because            Thinks Learning only Helps                                                                       they "know it already"                   Other

Leads Confidently                         Leads Arrogantly                             Leads either:
  -Without Fear of Approval             -Tries to impress crowd or                 -Not at All
  -Concerned for Well-being            -No concern for followers                   -Tries to Please Crowd as
       of Followers                               - Most concern=Resume'                        Leadership Method

So key questions to help us objectively determine if we are self-reliant or not:
  1. Am I continually learning?  Going to conferences? Reading books? Listening to audio training?
  2. Am I concerned about what people think of me?
  3. Am I more concerned about others well being than how they think of me?
  4. Am I leading to build a great resume or because I really believe in the cause?

No comments:

Post a Comment